Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day

I went to vote today and realized once again that I may be way too cynical for my own good. While I was parking and walking in, I was having my annual voting internal conversation about how I was exercising my constitutional right to throw my vote away (yes – I don’t vote along the standard lines around here – and I realize that can be unforgivable – but hell, it is my right!)…which inevitably gets interrupted by another more patriotic conversation about how I am lucky to live in a country where I can vote….blah, blah, blah…etc. Anyway, so up until now this is standard “election day” fare. What really struck me was when I was walking in. My voting location is at an Elementary school, and you walk in right by the front office, and then get directed down the hall, and into the gym. There are kids everywhere, and all I can think is, “WHOSE BRILLIANT IDEA WAS IT TO LET COMPLETE RANDOM ADULTS INTO AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WITHOUT ANY EXTRA SECURITY??? HOW IS THIS A GOOD IDEA???” I mean, we are talking about the fact that anyone off the street can walk into the school, and no one will bat an eye. Is that creepy to anyone else? I am over thinking this? Am I assuming the worst in everyone involved – that everyone is pervy or dangerous? Not to mention that fact that those kids could find a way to skew the results somehow – I mean, come on – kids these days are getting smarter!

Rock the vote – don’t nab kids from the polling location!

2 comments:

dillydallycali said...

To answer one of your questions:

Yes, I think to some degree, everyone is pervy (love that word). Let's try to delight in that morbid fact instead of beating ourselves into oblivion.

And yes, that could be VERY dangerous.

NatAttack said...

Maybe the polling location pickers were banking on the fact that only fine, upstanding citizens like yourself get out the vote.

Pervy people stay home and keep to their own nasty business.