Thursday, March 22, 2007

cause for concern?

My mother is that snoopy neighbor that every neighborhood has. She knows the comings and goings of all her neighbors, and will point out if a “strange” car has been parked for longer than she believes it should. She notices who comes home at 3:00am, and she is not afraid to mention it to the homeowner. As far as I can remember back, she has always been this way. I have tried my hardest not to become that person…and I feel like I have done okay. Living in an apartment complex is a “snoopy neighbor’s” dream. I may need my mom’s help with the next door neighbor.

I call him “the Pirate”. He is a very nice man, obviously, looks like a pirate. He has quite a bit of stuff on his balcony, and spends a lot of time “working” on his minivan in the parking lot. I believe he lives alone, but am not sure…he is actually very, very quiet. I only hear him when he comes home late at night, about the time I am settling in to watch COPS. My neighbor downstairs has filled me in on what she knows about him. She sad he works with his Mom and that he works at night and sleeps in the day. She also mentioned that he is really into crafts. Which explains the toll painted signs on his door, and wooden birdhouse arrangements next to his door.

He and I live at the top of the stairs, and we are the only two apartments there. He has to walk past my door, to get to his. This morning I noticed that he had plugged a big orange extension cord into the outdoor plug right by my front door. The cable then ran under my doormat, between our apartments and then right into his apartment with the door shut over it. I stared for several minutes trying to figure out what the hell could be going on. I went back into mine to count outlets. There are plenty in there. Here are the questions I know have:

  • How many appliances could he have plugged in, that he can’t possibly use one of his own outlets?
  • What could be so important to plug in that he has to run an extension cord outside?
  • How dangerous would it be if I went ahead and unplugged it tonight when I get home?
  • Am I paying for this electricity he is using?
  • Should I be concerned?
  • Where is my mom when I need her most?

1 comment:

dillydallycali said...

Damn. Painted signs on the door? Trolls? Sounds like a Quasimodo wannabe. OR just a psychopath.

My guess? The extension cord powers the jumbo-sized freezer he's crammed his dead mother in.

My advice? Unplug it. See if she starts to smell.