Wednesday, August 23, 2006

denimgate

We all put up with a lot of crap at our jobs – but an “Unspoken, unwritten dress code policy” that was literally made up by the big boss on his drive to work should not be one of them!

I am willing to admit, there is slight – very slight – possibility that an original policy had been communicated last January to the effect of when a client visit’s, we should not wear jeans. However, I know that emails since Jan/Feb have all said don’t worry about this client or this one and so forth until the visits meant nothing but “tidying up our area”. I know from my Supreme Court class in college that a “precedent” is not something to take lightly, and the precedent had definitely been set in this one. Anyway, I show up to work this morning to an email alerting us all that we were in some sort of violation and chaos ensued as we debated, discussed and argued the policy amongst ourselves. To add to my embarrassment about my seedy looking appearance, I was wearing gym shoes! (Those were due to an unrelated incident yesterday where I was unable to turn a corner without rolling my ankle, thus meaning I had to wear the comfortable shoes for my healing foot.)

The real kicker was when I was standing outside my cubicle bitching about the email with two co-workers and my boss walked right around the corner while I was yapping my big mouth. For those of you who were present for the Oscar Party fiasco of last year involving Ralph, peroxide and a Q-tip know exactly what I am talking about with my big mouth. However, this one was not quite as awkward, as my boss did not openly acknowledge he overheard anything, as Ralph did.

Denimgate seemed to really set a tone for today, and I have been unable to recover and just get on with my day. I should be old enough and mature enough to just let it go…but that is not fun, and has never really been my style.

No comments: