Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Why God invented Gameboys

So, last night I was just settling in to watch the NCAA Championship game when I heard my neighbor leaving…Vincent always runs to the door when he is out there, I believe that he is now as fascinated as I am. About 2 minutes after he left, the power went out. Of course, I instantly blamed him. I waited about 5 minutes, and then decided to head out to investigate. I determined that it was only two buildings that I could see that were without power…which further supports the idea that “The Pirate” had finally blown something in there. Long story short: it came on twice for a few minutes before it returned for good at 11:05. When it went off after each short interval, it literally went off with a “bang”. There was a loud popping sound that scared the hell out of me each time. The box that the power guys were working on was right beneath my balcony. I asked them what the loud sound was and they said, “That’s just us blowing fuses”. Ok. Fine, I guess. I wanted to have them come check the neighbor’s electricity setup…but never dared.

The real tragedy of the night = 4 hours of no “cooked” dinner, TV, Wow or even reading. Yes, I know I can read by candlelight…but the book I am reading now is scary and that is the last thing you want to be reading when your power is out. I could have left at any point in the night…but I was convinced that they were going to somehow trace the whole problem back to my neighbor…and I wanted to be there when they did. I found a good substitute for TV to be staring out your window while eating chex mix. Almost didn’t even notice anything was different until it got dark. Then, I once again discovered the beautiful majesty of the Gameboy. What would I be without that gameboy? Tetris, Dr. Mario, Risk and Mappy…they got me through the long, long night. Meanwhile, it appears my neighbor may have gotten away with it this time…

No comments: