Tuesday, December 12, 2006

How about those Jazz?

Okay, okay – I have been getting a fair amount of flack due to my lack of writing. I have no good excuse to offer. (Emphasis on good!) For those that know me well, you can probably identify a single source, but that is not really important right now.

At any rate, one of the exciting things going on in my life right now is that Matt and I got season tickets to the Jazz. We went in fully expecting them to not do well, so you can imagine our glee at how well they are doing! We have made a sport out of collecting free mints at the doors – current record is 12 – but we fully anticipate by the end of the season that 12 will look like kids stuff.

So, this leads me to my favorite jazz outing ever – and I cannot explain to you why it has left such a mark… Last year my brother and I attended the Bulls game and we were in the very top row. With 1.6 seconds left, Okur made a game winning 3 pointers, the bulls immediately took a time out and the crowd went nuts. I’ve seen a fair amount of frenzies in my day, but this one sticks out in particular. You would think the emotion would not be running so deep on the second to top row, but the guy in front of us displayed crazed sports fan like you could only expect to see court side. He turned around, and made the “give me a high five” gesture my brother, who very smartly ignored him. Then, I made the mistake of getting caught looking at the whole mess, so he turned to me. Against all better judgment, I let the moment also carry me away, and went right in for the high five. My brother then followed suit. After that, the crazed fan turned to the Bulls bench and gave them the throat slitting sign. Which by the way, I am sure was very devastating for them from the second to top row!

Seriously, I high fived a COMPLETE STRANGER! I don’t generally like giving anyone the high five, not one for physical contact – but a complete stranger?! What happened in my life to make such an exchange acceptable?!

This year, in addition to gather so many free mints that Mrs. Cavanuagh’s has to higher more employees, I should make it a goal to high five a stranger every game. It seemed to make that game stick out in my memory!

No comments: