Sunday, December 17, 2006

Paulie, the Worthless Brother-in-Law

Okay - with the upcoming release of Rocky Balboa on next week, I decided I could not delay seeing Rocky V much longer. Saturday night, I gave it a whirl. I was expecting the very worst Rocky movie that you could imagine. Perhaps because my expectations were so very low it did not seem that bad at all. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the 5th installation was not only good, but better than the 3rd and the 4th by a long shot. It was still nowhere near the quality we say in the 1st, or came close to in the 2nd....but I really did enjoy it. There were no flashback scenes of Rocky and Apollo running on the beach and overall, it just didn't seem anywhere near as corney or as painful to watch. The loveable meathead that is Rocky was back to his sweet, naive self rather than just that moron that you can laugh at. How dare that worthless Tommy Gunn snub Rocky like he did, can you even believe it?! After all he did for him!! I am now fully excited for the new one to come out!

There are a few concerns I have about where this story line could have ended up since 5...

1. I had read there is no Adrian, so how can we watch a Rocky movie without someone yelling at him and telling him he can't suceed? How is that going to be any good?
2. Is it possible that a screenwriter could top the Mr. T antics we sat through in the 3rd. "My prediction...pain!" You don't know whether to laugh or to cry.
3. What on earth will Paulie be up to? Is it possible that he could ruin their lives any more than he already has? Maybe if Adrian is gone, he will be gone too? Also, do you think he has checked himself into AA yet?
4. Where is that singing group we saw in the first few movies, and then in 5 you could hear them but I don't think that we saw them. What happened to them?
5. Could any of the fighting be as exciting as a Knicks - Nuggets game?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your fans want the Rocky Balboa Review!!